Friday, December 21, 2007

21 - Kings Of Leon

“Ragoo”Kings Of LeonBecause Of The Times

This is one of those songs I knew I was going to love after six seconds, that guitar part is just too beautiful. I like where Kings of Leon are taking this whole southern rock thing...

OK, I don’t have a ton more to say about this song besides "I love it," so I’m going to use this time to bring up the subject of capitalization standards in music. Early on in my life, I noticed that the words normally left lowercase in things like book titles were capitalized when it came to music (see Kings Of Leon). Song titles on records and CDs capitalized every word, and I never understood why it was different for music. I adopted that standard anyway because, well, it seemed to be the standard, and then I got used to it.

In the Internet Age, you see it both ways. I still feel that by “official standards,” capitalizing all the letters in song titles, band names, and album titles is “correct,” but I still have no idea why or how this came about. Maybe I’ll go google it for a bit and report back in the comments, but if anyone has any insights or thoughts on this, I’d be interested in hearing them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny you should mention this, since I've been thinking about it off and on for years now.

Mostly, I follow the training of my English degree, or something, and keep common words that are 3-letters long or shorter (the, and, of, in, on, or, etc.) lowercase. This includes band names, album names, and song names.

For instance, I always make the O in "Kings of Leon" lowercase. Same goes for the O and T in Because of the Times. The O in "Simple Twist of Fate," -- and on and on...