Sunday, December 2, 2007

02 - Dean & Britta


“Words You Used To Say” Dean & BrittaBack Numbers


On Back Numbers, the married slice of Luna continue meandering through the world of Dean Wareham’s dreamy guitar and subdued vocals. I’m pretty certain that Wareham is the illegitimate child of Jerry Garcia, but nobody wants to talk about it. If the contact high you get from the wonderfully narcoleptic “Words You Used To Say” doesn’t convince you of his lineage, try this live version of Luna’s “23 Minutes In Brussels.” Come on, the solo alone induces flashbacks in 63% of Deadheads.


Sadly, most fans of the Dead have no idea how much they would love Wareham’s projects, and many fans of Wareham would be uncomfortable with the reality that, somewhere deep in a closet, they would be capable of appreciating the Dead.

3 comments:

Laird Nelson said...

His voice sounds a little bit like Shawn Mullins.

royalbacon said...

Your Dead connection is interesting, because I was always a Phish guy, not a Dead guy, so I can't hear that connection myself. But I do love these two. They're coming to the Triple Door early next year (as they did this year) -- looking forward to it.

Ryan said...

I'm not a huge Dead guy, really, I just listen to Europe '72 every now and then, but the soloing style and sound feels very similar to me.