Tuesday, December 11, 2007

11 - Eddie Vedder

“Hard Sun”Eddie VedderInto The Wild (Soundtrack)

OK, when I pick songs for this calendar, there are really only about 10-15 I know ahead of time must make the list because of the impact they had on me. The rest, like today, are whatever I feel like at the moment. I tend to favor lesser-known artists when picking from the huge pool of “yeah, that could make the list” songs, because it seems more interesting, and there’s a better chance I’ll introduce someone to an artist they hadn’t heard before.

So, picking Eddie Vedder is hardly erring on the “lesser known” side of things, but picking “Hard Sun” is. I heard the original version by Indio back in the late eighties and instantly loved it; I went out and bought Big Harvest that day. I thought “Hard Sun” had the potential to be a hit, but it was not to be. Big Harvest is out of print, most people have never heard of Indio or heard this song, and I always figured “Hard Sun” was one of those hidden gems that was lost to time, buried under the sea of music that has been released since.

Eddie dug it up, though, and has done it great justice. And apparently he has done me great justice as well, because Big Harvest is now going for $120 on amazon! I wonder if my disc has any scratches…

Anyone seen Into the Wild? Based on the official video for this song, it seems to be about 27% shots of the guy raising his arms triumphantly at the glory of nature. Oh well, “Hard Sun” is a good soundtrack for that, at any rate.

No comments: