Thursday, December 20, 2007

20 - Yeasayer

Red Cave

“Red Cave”YeasayerAll Hour Cymbals

Wow, I am totally running out of slots. This is my final “flex” day, the rest of the calendar is pretty well set. I guess I’ll have a long list of alternates to share after Christmas, but for now I have to stick with my obscurity tiebreaker and go with Yeasayer’s “Red Cave.”

Yeasayer is four guys who sound like twenty with their intriguing blend of folk, multi-part gospel-style harmonies, Middle-Eastern instrumentation, polyrhythms, and good ol’ poppy hooks. There are many fine tracks on this album, but besides having a building, big-sounding choral thing going on which I can’t resist, the sentiment of the closing lyrics on “Red Cave” put it over the top for the holiday season.

“I’m so blessed to pass the good times/With my family and the friends I love/In my short life I have met/So many people I deeply care for.”

Despite the theme of this whole endeavor, I’m not big on religion (even the Church of the Red Cave), but I can certainly “amen” that...

No comments: