Thursday, December 6, 2007

06 - Bishop Allen

“Click Click Click Click”Bishop AllenThe Broken String

Bishop Allen is kind of a Jethro-Tull-meets-Sleater-Kinney thing. The band name, not the sound—“Bishop Allen” isn’t a dude, it’s a road. The sound is really nothing like either, although a Tull-meets-S-K sound is, at the very least, an intriguing thinker. Anyway, I’ve had the “click click click click” chorus stuck in my head lately, so maybe putting it in the calendar will dislodge it from my brain and stick stick stick stick it into yours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent pick, Ryan. Love this song, and the album is fab. Their previous release (Charm School) is also worth checking out.

royalbacon said...

I saw these guys open for John Vanderslice, and they blew me away. I loved them, bought both of their CDs at the show, and haven't turned back.

Hadn't considered the Tull meets S-K angle, and I'm not sure if I see it -- I think the closest influence I can pick for Bishop Allen is Okkervil River.

Ryan said...

Not in sound, in name!

Tull = Band that sounds like it's the name of a guy, but it's just the name of the band

S-K = Band named after a road

Bishop Allen = Band that sounds like it's the name of a guy, but is actually a road

:) :)